CHOOSE A COACH FOR ALL THE RIGHT REASONS


As a "Professional Pickleball Coach" I have a practice of providing free "coaching" to most any of my pickleball friends with a problem in their play.  However this protocol of generosity has its critics from within the pickleball community. 
 I have found many new friends among a vast variety of public funded pickleball programs and private pay for play pickleball providers. I am always ready to help any friend in need of my services, without payment or recourse. Possibly I have become over protective of my "pickleball buddies."  
I encourage every player  to seek "Professional Coaching" when the need arises. Players should choose whatever Coach they feel most confident in to solve their problems, Players should not choose a coach based solely on a friendship. Nor should they choose a coach solely on name recognition and reputation. It is good to get different coaching perspectives on your game even for the same problem, and adapt the solution that works the best.
I have been told by some folks, that providing free instructional services is not "Professional," and it discredits me as a coach. This may well be true. Except that in the last 15 months I have taught well over 500 Beginner Pickleball players “how to play the game, as a volunteer instructor, and many of these newbees are currently playing and playing very well.
The questions that arises is two fold.  First: “Is it harder to teach pickle ball to a senior citizen with mobility issues who has never played the game, and has little to no understanding about the rules and scoring of the game?" Second: "As opposed to teaching an experienced player with a knowledge of game rules and scoring, combined with developed skill sets, to correct one or two components of his or her game? "
I have been teaching Beginners Pickleball publically and privately for over three years. I have been coaching Intermediate Players as a IPTPA Certified Teaching Professional Level II Coach for less than one year. The “coaching and teaching experience” I have acquired has come from practical courtside, (classroom style) teaching, and practical middle school teaching experience.  My teaching skills did not come from just hitting a whiffle ball over a net with a paddle, and winning medals.  Teaching skills are very different from player skill sets.
My teaching skills were developed in part by achieving an academic teaching degree, and fulfilling a contractual agreement to teach public school for two years post graduation.  I continued to teach through my career in a variety of different educational formats, pubic and private. I also served as an Adjunct Instructor at a Community College Level, I have found that a good teacher must have well developed verbal communication skills with people on all level and ages, and the writing skills to develop comprehensive daily progressive lesson plans.  
Most importantly a good teacher must have patience and the ability to teach a student (young or old) by positive constructive motivation, as opposed to negative degrading criticism. Teaching in some instances requires special attention to an individual with repetitive instructions before the student understands and comprehends what they are being taught.
Now my “reward payment” comes when I see a player use what I taught them to improve their game and win on the pickleball court. For those concerned about my financial well-being, they can rest easy, I do charge for my coaching services when appropriate. And I don’t come cheap.
Another question arises regarding pickleball instruction, "do you want to pay for "bragging rights" of attending a pickleball clinic with a "high priced, high profile coach," or do you want to pay your hard earned money to a local coach who will tell you what your problems are, and provide you with the solutions on how to correct those problems?
Many player's who attend a Coaching Clinic with a “Renown Pro Player,” are so star-struck they forget most everything what the “Coach” told them. But the placebo effect kicks in and the player improves their game play due to a boost in self confidence. Not to say that "Pro Player Coaching" is often worth every penny for their knowledge, experience and skills assessments of your game.
I will leave you all with one final thought ;  “IF YOU DO NOT PRACTICE AT HOME WHAT THE COACH TAUGHT YOU IN A CLINIC, THEN YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME AND HARD EARNED MONEY.  BUT BE NOT DISMAYED!  YOU ARE HELPING YOUR "Coach" TO MAKE HIS OR HER NEXT NEW CAR PAYMENT. GAME ON!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNFORCED ERRORS A PICKLEBALL PLAYERS WORST NIGHTMARES

DOUBLES PICKLEBALL LADDER LEAGUE TEMPLATES.

SO YOU WANT TO TEACH PICKLEBALL