BEST FRIENDS MAKE GOOD COACHES

GOOD PICKLEBALL, GOOD FRIENDS, GOOD PLACE & GOOD ADVICE
Friday I played at Edgewood SRCT I can say honestly I played "smart winning pickleball." A good mixed crowd of 15 players had signed in and they all came with game. Barb was invited but didn't show....what's new!
Average over 55 player skill levls ran from 3.0 to 4.0. Most any game you played, with most any partner was an all out slug fest, down to the very last point, often win by two, finesse pickleball game. No one stayed back at the base line to practice their forehand drive stroke. The net was where the action began and ended. Damn fine pickleball. Even the bangers played the short court game.
One high end friend had just selected his female partner for the HA/CO/SR/Games. The exact same lady that I was going to ask but waited too long. When she heard I too was after her she signaled a sympathetic sorry sign my way. She is 3,5+ and he is 4.0, together they are going to be strong contenders for gold in the 70 bracket. Now I have to scout out a distaff partner, 3.5+, 70ish finesse player who is willing to be my partner, and begin drilling as a synchronized doubles strategy team.
A close pb friend who is a "pickleball junkie" like yours truly, (that's so cliché), partnered with me for a doubles duel against hard playing, no mercy, never give up, never give in, females. I made a couple unforced errors at the beginning of the game that generated some helpful and welcome remarks of what I did wrong. Not only do I welcome these oncourt and off-court critiques of my play. I even make note of them in my spiral note pad. WARNING, If 'you can't handle the truth' then "partner critique of your play" is not recommended.
My fellow junkie 70 friend is 4.0 with great mobility from 50 years playing soccer. Moves like a cat on the court, and has the mental capacity to play "smart pickleball."
My biggest problem was my baseline backhand return of serve, or my propensity to switch to left handed play forehand drive from the deep end. Twice I faulted with outside sideline sliders. My compadre called a time out and " informed me on the error of my ways."
For some reason I was avoiding the forehand, in place of a weaker backhand return, or a left hand switch. "You need anticipate the opponents shot and make ready. You are keeping your feet parallel to baseline loosing shoulder power and control when executing the backhand shot,
He also reminded me to use the strong side, drop back step to position the body sideways perpendicular to net, non-paddle shoulder pointing at my target, and contact ball when it's out in front of my body, and not at side of body.
From this little "in-play" critique clinic, I also realized that when I execute a forehand drive (RH), I do so by stepping forward with my weak side foot (instead of stepping back with my strong side foot) to position my body perpendicular (sideways) to net with non-paddle shoulder pointing to target, and execute the forehand drive.
On a down note: Good friend, almost great player "Julio" twisted something in knee (not from a fall) and had to stop play. We applied cold packs & later helped "Julio" to his car. I could see the disappointment and despair in his face. "Julio" often takes time out to coach and help other players during open play. He will spend an entire game playing with a person in need of instruction
to help someone out. HURRAY BACK JULIO YOUR ARE A TRUE PICKLEBALL JUNKIE.
So the next time your partner has something to say during a game pay attention. It just might be the best coaching advice you can receive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNFORCED ERRORS A PICKLEBALL PLAYERS WORST NIGHTMARES

DOUBLES PICKLEBALL LADDER LEAGUE TEMPLATES.

SO YOU WANT TO TEACH PICKLEBALL