AFFECTS OF EXTRA POUNDS ON AGING PICKLEBALL PLAYERS

THE AFFECTS OF EXTRA POUNDS ON AN AGING PICKLEBALL PLAYER

*********************************************************************
I have self-evaluated my physical condition in preparation for this long term rehab.  Each pound of excess body fat equates to 40 pounds of bearing weight on all of the joints in our bodies. As part of my recovery I have set a 22 pound body fat weight loss goal.  As I age, excess pounds are my worst health nemesis. 

During the past year prior to my injury I noticed my pickleball mobility was declining, slowing my forward advancement to the NVZ, clunkiest split steps and foot dragging lateral ball covering shuffles at the line.  Although my shot performance and ball placement had advanced, my overall ability to move fast had diminished.

I failed to factor my numerical aging into the formula.  Had I done so then, I would have concluded that for my age, height, bone density, muscle tissue, I was 20 pounds over an athletic weight to play sports, and strength train .  Thus I was hauling an extra 800 pounds of bearing pressure on my joints, ligaments, tendons, minor and major muscle.  More importantly I was overloading my circulatory system powered by my heart to supply necessary life giving blood throughout my body to rebuild, repair and replace declining tissue, and bone. 

It was inevitable that something in my body had to break down, and it did. Looking forward, my rehab program will include a 20 pound plus weight loss, which will occur over a 4 -5 month period. 

In order to accomplish this facet of the recovery process, I will use a detoxifying liquid homemade from fresh ginger root, squeeze lemons, crushed garlic and honey.  I have already begun this process.  I make the drink in advance using a juice blender, boiling mineral water, and 14 Mason Jars 10 ounce capacity to make up a two week supply. 

Each morning I heat up a 10 ounce bottle of this mixture and pour it into a large coffee mug adding another 2 ounces of cold tap water, and drink it entirely before I eat my breakfast.  I have felt the changes take place internally and seen positive results on the scale.

My close friend and fellow pickleball instructor, Chen Hsu, first told me about this drink and the positive effects and results he experienced. 

I am not recommending or suggesting this drink for anyone else.  Each person's body is different and it could cause you serious harm if you take it without consultation with your Doctor.  I do not believe in the fad flavor of the month diets from the likes of "O", Dr. OZ, and Marie."   I cannot pass judgement on what I am doing until the process has had ample time to work or fail.

The message herein is simple, "a lean horse runs a long race."  Look at our pickleball  counterpart who are still playing and moving nimbly around the court in their 80's.  There are few if any "fat bodies."   Assuredly their are exceptions to the rule.

All I can say is that I have a difficulty road to travel if I want to play the game that I love, and play with the people that I love to be with, at least for a few more years. This means extra duty and sacrifice on my part.  The Doctors, Surgeons, Nurses, Physical Therapists, and Hospital Staff all did their jobs to put me  to get me back onto the pickleball courts. Now its my time to put my skin in the game and do what I need to do.  AND I WILL . . . with a little help from my friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNFORCED ERRORS A PICKLEBALL PLAYERS WORST NIGHTMARES

DOUBLES PICKLEBALL LADDER LEAGUE TEMPLATES.

SO YOU WANT TO TEACH PICKLEBALL