I STAND WITH TEACHERS

I STAND WITH TEACHERS


Teachers are the unsung heroes of society, past and present.  They are the first line of teaching communication skills and introducing civil discourse to our young people.  Teachers are often disrespected by students and parents alike.  We all need to stand with our Teachers and render the support they need. 
When I started school many years hence, I was taught by Catholic Nuns from first to 8th grade.  I was incorrigible and rebellious when "Mom" wasn't around.  Even when punished or disciplined at home I refused to cry.  I wanted to cry but for spite I didn't.  Aside from the usual   "red bottom, mouth slap or closet detention at home, the Nuns in school were well trained in hands-on disciplinary measures.  But they were masters of teaching the unteachable.

Aside from my contrarian attitude, I hated school work. I  d refrained from doing homework, and paying attention in class. 

Well that all ended in the fifth grade with Sister Genevieve.  She kept me after school more hours than I was in regular school.  She made me do repeated grammar and math drills on the blackboard. She taught me how to form, write and punctuate a proper sentence, and spell all the words correctly.  Sister Geneviève made me memorize the multiplication tables, addition, subtraction and division.  And more importantly she gave me an attitude adjustment that made me want to learn and behave.

At first I hated Sister Genevieve, but before too long I began to love her.  I realized she really cared about me and my education.  And she also made me realize that my Mom also loved and cared about me and wanted me to succeed in life. Sister Genevieve and my Mom  would discuss me   on a regular basis.  They both worked together on keeping me on the straight and narrow at home and in school. I still got the well deserved  occasional knuckle crack in class and an ass smack at home. I was not perfect but I was better. Now I really wanted to learn and do well. 

My remaining years in Catholic School gave me a strong educational foundation that carried me through public high school, four years of college and two years for a Masters Degree.  All of the wonderful Nuns that taught me and disciplined me really cared about me as a person and wanted me to succeed in life and work.

There have been countless academic and career oriented educational venues I have completed. Several State and Federal licenses and certification I have achieved during my professional career. And now retired, I still seek to learn all I can about pickleball.
I was not the exception. I was a normal every day kid that had the good fortune to grow up with great teachers in school and at home.
There are still many Sister Genevieve, types [around in the public and private school systems.  They often don't receive the credit or support that they need to do their jobs. They are the first to be criticized for a failing school system, and the last to be compensated for doing a tough job.

"I stand with all teachers." I am proud to be a teacher of pickleball. But I don't use a paddle for anything other than hitting a ball. I proudly display the Teacher Support logo on my profile photo.
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNFORCED ERRORS A PICKLEBALL PLAYERS WORST NIGHTMARES

DOUBLES PICKLEBALL LADDER LEAGUE TEMPLATES.

SO YOU WANT TO TEACH PICKLEBALL