CIVILITY, ETIQUETTE AND COMMON COURTESY

Civility, Etiquette and Common Courtesy

Saturday last, at NERRC OPEN PLAY, my friend Lachezar Kostov, informed me that when I first entered, I walked onto  the court where he and his friend "Tom"  were playing a highly contested singles game, and he almost hit me with a ball,  causing them to stop play, until I was out of the way.

As “Lach” and I continued to discuss the matter in a civil and respectful manner, I realize that I was guilty of this act.

I was embarrassed that “I” would do such an inconsiderate thing  to a fellow pickle ball player, and violate one of the key principals of good pickle ball court etiquette.

I teach and emphasize good court etiquette as part of every beginners instruction class. And I should know better.

I apologized to my friend, “Lach,” and he graciously accepted my apology. “Lach” also commented, “Joe, I know what you stand for, and this was not you.”  I also thanked “Lach” for bringing this to my attention in a polite face to face manner. “Lach, Tom and myself” went on to play “three dink Monty, and had a great time.

The aforementioned parity is a good example of  pickle ball players practicing “civility and respect ” towards each other on and off the court. Even though I violated a rule of Court etiquette, it was resolve with civility and mutual dialogue.

Most any on court rule dispute or off court player related disagreement can be resolved with civil, polite, and respectful dialogue, allowing all parties have their say, while other’s listen without interrupting.

As a coach, I have witnessed some disagreement situations escalate among players, requiring third party intervention to referee a peaceful resolution.

Now we come to the issue of “common courtesy.” What is “common courtesy” in pickle ball? “Common Courtesy” in pickle ball is and can be many acts, or displays of conduct  players.  A complete list of “common courtesies” would  fill the pages of an Encyclopedia Britannia.

One specific act of “common discourtesy, that I consider to be the most repugnant, unforgivable,   rudest, impolite, ill mannered, disagreeable, intolerant, lacking social skills, educationally underdeveloped, and offensive to the standards of common human decency, is when you say hello or extend a friendly wave or gesture of recognition to someone, especially when you know that person, and he or she knows you, and that person does not extend any recognition response to your good will overture. But glare back at you with a wicked, that makes an unattractive facial expression, that signals "be afraid, be very afraid. Often these personalities are habitually unpleasant, disagreeable and have distain for members of the human race.          

Understandably there are individuals that “you” do not like, and you” do not desire to around. But there is no need for “anyone” to exhibit “uncouth or boorish”  conduct.  Such “conduct” only degrades and diminishes a “person’s character and reputation.

However when your good will is repeatedly ignored, it becomes harder and harder to act exhibit signs of good will.

If you have a significant issue with someone, that cannot be resolved, “agree to disagree” amicably. But continue a friendly relationship.  None of us ever agree on everything, that’s human nature.  It’s called “individualism,”  simply being yourself! However, the love of  PICKLEBALL is the one thing we all have in common.

Many times when disagreeing individuals sit and talk with one another, airing their differences, in a polite and respectful manner, mutual understand is accomplished, and a friendship develops. 

Those individuals who are habitually disrespecting of others’ good,  will stand alone, and carry the mantel of  “intolerant boors,"  to be avoided.  Eventually such behavior will cause a person to become  ostracized from the group. 

Being kind to one another is contagious, even the sour pusses eventually crack a smile on their worn chiseled faces.  What do you have to loose?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNFORCED ERRORS A PICKLEBALL PLAYERS WORST NIGHTMARES

DOUBLES PICKLEBALL LADDER LEAGUE TEMPLATES.

SO YOU WANT TO TEACH PICKLEBALL