PICKLEBALL COURT SHOES

SHOES LOVE 'EM, HATE 'EM
When it comes to pickleball shoes the choice is very limited. YES, there are a few Picklball specific court shoes on the market. Do they really work as advertised? I don't know! You tell me.
What I do know is what my good friend and fellow pickleball junkie "Rick" told me. Rick worked as a shoe salesman for Holabird Sports 9220 Pulaski Hwy, Chase MD.
As a big fan of the New Balance 806 Tennis Shoe, I was somewhat taken back when good friend Rick, informed that the New Balance 806 shoe was designed more so for outdoor synthetic Tennis Court surfaces rather than the indoor wood gymnasium floor surfaces. WHY, I asked ? My friend responded, "the sole material for the outdoor court surface is a little harder and a little stiffer, so they last a little longer.
OK! So what type sole on what shoe should I be using to play this "mad-cap" game of pickleball on an indoor hard wood gym floor. "Ah-Ha" SAYS RICK, THAT IS THE QUESTION? Do you want the truth? I'm entitled to the truth! YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!
The truth is, "softer gum soles, like those on dedicated racquetball court shoes provide more flexibility of movement and better gripping traction on wood floors. However these same shoes will wear out quickly when worn outdoors for racquet sports.
My next questions was, "are these racquet ball shoes going to help me prevent more falls than the "806" shoe? Answer: "They will help you "feel" the court with your feet, and provide you with more gripping and holding power, when making unconventional moves or lunges for the ball. Another scenario where the racquetball shoes will out perform your "806" footwear is when turning around to run down an overhead lob, especially when you have to get behind the ball, make a quick stop, and return the ball.
Makes sense! But your telling me that if I switch, I will have to have two pair of court shoes, my "806's" and my "gum sole racquet ball shoes." YOU GOT IT! And I plan to keep it.
Will I win more games with gum shoes? Answer: If you make less unforced errors or faults , you will win more games. But "gium shole" shoes are not going to put you in the win column.
My next question to my beleaguered friend was, do these shoes come in "Extra Wide" sizes? Answer: I don't think so!
GAME OVER!
The New Balance "806" dedicated tennis shoe has served me well on both indoor wood court surfaces and outdoor synthetic court surfaces. They provide excellent traction and a relatively comfortable fit. One problem I had was keeping them laced tight, so my feet would not slosh around.
My other GOOD friend, "Master Chen Hsu" Cruse Line Ping-Pong Champion Gold Medal Winner, and skilled pickleball player, showed me a way to lace my shoes so the laces would not work loose with aggressive foot movement.
If you think I am going to tell you how "Master Chen" laces shoes, THINK AGAIN. It ain't gon'a happen Sports Fans. WHY YOU SAY? I "honestly" can not remember how "Chen" works the laces in and out of the holes in the shoe. Whenever I need my court shoes relaced, or buy a new pair, I take them to my friend "Chen."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNFORCED ERRORS A PICKLEBALL PLAYERS WORST NIGHTMARES

DOUBLES PICKLEBALL LADDER LEAGUE TEMPLATES.

SO YOU WANT TO TEACH PICKLEBALL